Saturday, October 6, 2007

New Mercies

"This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, for His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:21-23.

Praise God for a new month, a new day, new mercies!

The past month held its share of discouragements and setbacks, and the Lord taught me to rely on His grace. Not only did I deal with personal battles, but it appeared that everywhere I turned, I encountered someone who was experiencing difficult times (friends experiencing loss, people dealing with health and financial issues, students I work with experiencing emotional turmoil . . .)! Has anybody been there? Can anyone relate to these hardships?

There's great news: we have a loving and compassionate God who "sees our frame and knows that we are made of dust." Each new day brings new mercies; each trial comes with a special dose of grace. In the same way that the Israelites had to learn to trust God for manna on a daily basis, God teaches us to rely on His compassionate hand day by day while we go through life's "deserts". Praise God!

Continuing on this note of praise . . .

God has provided a place for me to stay in Carrollton so that I can be in closer proximity to the high school students I work with. I'm already enjoying the benefits of living so close--I was able to attend the high school football game last night. I won't comment on the score, but I did enjoy waving a green and yellow pom-pom and screaming "Go, Trojans, Go!"

Our October outreach--JELLO FEST--was a delightfully messy experience (Stay tuned for pictures). I got jello in my ear, but best of all TWO STUDENTS PRAYED TO RECEIVE CHRIST!


Prayer Requests

Please pray for an upcoming "team talk" for Varsity and JV volleyball players at Newman Smith (October 15th). Team talks involve delivering a motivational message to a group of students, then encouraging them to become a part of a small group study where they can learn about God and grow in their relationship with Him.

It has been difficult getting groups of girls together for Bible studies due to time conflicts in the busy, busy lives of these high school girls. Please ask that God will grant us wisdom in structuring the Bible studies so that we can accomodate the various schedules.

Please pray for a student I've been "hanging out" with, K.E. She comes from a dysfunctional background and she is carrying a lot of emotional baggage. K.E. loves the Lord, and she is staying strong, but she is constantly battling negative thoughts and feelings. Ask that the Lord would strengthen her and grant me wisdom as I strive to point her to Him.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND PRAYERS!

No comments: